Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Land Was Made for You and Me...

One of the better moments from this weekend's inaugural festivities:

Pete Seeger singing "This Land is Your Land":





Ever defiant and ever protesting, the 89 year-old Seeger managed to insert three rarely sung versus into his performance:

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there whistling,
This land made for you and me.


There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.


Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

No comments: