Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Favorite "Average Joe" is Back!

Just when you think he has faded from the spotlight, he gives another mind-numbing interview. I am talking about Joe Wurzelbacher, aka, "Joe the Plumber". Wurzelbacher recently gave an interview to Christianity Today and here are some of the excerpts:

In the last month, same-sex marriage has become legal in Iowa and Vermont. What do you think about same-sex marriage at a state level?

At a state level, it's up to them. I don't want it to be a federal thing. I personally still think it's wrong. People don't understand the dictionary—it's called queer. Queer means strange and unusual. It's not like a slur, like you would call a white person a honky or something like that. You know, God is pretty explicit in what we're supposed to do—what man and woman are for. Now, at the same time, we're supposed to love everybody and accept people, and preach against the sins. I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children. But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing.



Does the Republican Party reach out to evangelicals enough?


No. None of them stand up for anything. They use God as a punch line. They use God to invoke sympathy or invoke righteousness, but they don't stay the course. That's why I think that all needs to be taken out of the federal level and give it back to the states. We've lost our American history. Every state has "In God we trust" or "With God's help" in their constitution. God is recognized as, if you will, America's religion.


Do you see any Christians becoming stronger voices in politics?

When politicians start talking about being a Christian, I just worry, because a lot of them don't really follow through. I like to see real action in that area. I heard some stories about George Bush, and how he wrote an original letter to each and every soldier that died. And his prayer life was listed to be pretty intense. That kind of thing, it's awesome. I would love it to be true. I would love to hear our leaders actually check with God before he does stuff.



Do you have plans to run for public office?


Not right now. God hasn't said, "Joe, I want you to run." I feel more important to just encourage people to get involved, one way or another. If I can inspire some leaders, that would be great. I don't know if I want to be a leader.


He had me at "God is recognized as America's religion".

No comments: